[ Features | | Examples | Configuration | Sitemap]¶
This page explains the basic functionalities of the TextAE annotation tool.
- config = URL_of_configuration_file (json)
TextAEat the TextAE Configuration Editor
- For the details on how to configure
TextAE, see the configuration page.
- target = URL_of_the_target_documant/annotation (json)
- Use PubAnnotation as the storage for your annotation project.
Load document ¶
To open a document, click on the load icon to bring out the dialog box below. Input the location (URL) of the document and press the OK button or press the enter/return key on your keyboard. The document can also be opened via the address bar of browser. Refer to the launch parameters. EX.
Save annotation ¶
To save annotation, click on the save icon to bring out the dialog box below. Input the location where you want the document to be saved and press the OK button or press the enter/return key on your keyboard. The default location is the same as the target launch parameter and can be changed. EX.
Undo and redo ¶
TextAE offers virtually unlimited level of undo and redo operations, which are very useful during annotation. The possible times of undo (redo) operation is shown together with the undo (redo) icon.
Replicate and auto replicate ¶
TextAE offers an assistance on annotation, i.e. auto-annotation. To annotate a document, annotate a span first and click the replicate icon. Then, in the document, all the spans which are the same as the previously annotated one will be automatically annotated, with the same color coding.
The auto replicate functionality works slightly differently. Click the auto replicate icon first and then perform annotation. During the process of the annotation, once one span is annotated,
TextAE will automatically annotate all the left spans which are the same as the just annotated one.
But once the auto replicate functionality is chosen, is it impossible to return to the normal replicate functionality?
View mode ¶
- Read only.
- Making annotation is not allowed in the view mode.
Span edit mode ¶
- Click the span edit mode icon
- Create a span annotation Example of span annotation
- From the label palette, choose an annotation label unless the default one is not what you want, and
- select a span of text (mouse drag).
- Delete a span annotation
- Select the target span annotation (mouse click), and
- press 'delete' or 'd'
- Adjust the boundary of a span annotation
Relation edit mode ¶
- Click the relation edit mode icon
- Create a relation annotation
- Select a span (or instance) annotation, and
- select another span (or instance) annotation.
- A relation annotation is created between the two, then choose its annotation label unless the default one is not what you want.
- Delete a relation annotation
- Select the target relation annotation (mouse click), and
- press 'delete' or 'd'
- Functionalities for annotating two complicated relations
Refer to attachment:textae.pdf for the detailed definition of the two relations
- Star sharped relation
Example of star sharped relation annotation
- Chained relation Example of chained relation annotation
An example of labels and their color codings used for annotation. Refer to the configuration page for more details.
|s||Span edit mode|
|r||Relation edit mode|